Thursday, October 10, 2013

Why don't my sand castles last?

It happened again last night. One of my key staff resigned. Over ten years it has happened about that many times. A staff member that is competent moves on to bigger and better things.

I am happy for them, but I have a bit of that "left at the altar" kind of feeling. Or like that feeling when you build a nice big sand castle only to see a big wave come and level it in a moment.  There is nothing to do but sigh and start building again.

Bummer.

Why is life is like that?

When I got my first job after high school, my brother told me that sometimes you can't see that you built anything, so you have to get satisfaction from knowing what you have survived.

I would rather have a monument to my success -- something to "justify my existance" as an old friend used to say.

But it seems that sometimes we are called to be poured out. I am thinking I will stumble into heaven all exhausted without a lot to point to. My proverbial tail will be dragging, and I will have nothing to say.  Gabriel will ask, "What did you accomplish on earth?" I will say, "uh, nothing much."

He will say, "Why are you here?"

I will say, 'cause for some random reason God decided to let me in.

That's it.

That's all.

I guess come to think of it, that's enough.






4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lowell,
    I had to go listen to "The Hurt and the Healer" again after reading this. The faith to have hope that is deeper than unanswered "Whys" is the line this drowning man clings to. Here are the lyrics and the link if you would like a refresher.


    Why?
    The question that is never far away
    But healing doesn't come from the explained
    Jesus, please don't let this go in vain
    You're all I have, all that remains

    So here I am, what's left of me
    When glory meets my suffering

    (Chorus)
    I'm alive
    Even though a part of me has died
    You take my heart and breathe it back to life
    I fall into your arms open wide
    When the hurt and the healer collide

    Breathe
    Sometimes I feel it's all that I can do
    Pain so deep that I can hardly move
    Just keep my eyes completely fixed on You
    Lord, take hold and pull me through

    So here I am, what's left of me
    When glory meets my suffering

    Chorus

    It's the moment when humanity
    Is overcome by majesty
    When grace is ushered in for good
    And all our scars are understood

    When mercy takes its rightful place
    And all these questions fade away
    When out of weakness we must bow
    And hear you say "It's over now"

    Chorus

    Jesus, come and break my fear
    Wake my heart and take my tears
    Find your glory even here
    When the hurt and the healer collide

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzaivDbu9c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Larry Crabb's book Fully Alive? It address some of this -- and made sense to me. Enjoying your blog. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete

"Is There Hope for a Politically Fractured Body?" What I learned from listening.

  This isn't the blog post I thought I would write.  Sometime in the wee hours of election night, I had a thought.  I really need to tal...