Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What is it about birthdays?

I love birthdays.  People over 40 aren't suppose to love birthdays, but  I still love birthdays. Today is my wife's birthday.

I love birthdays because I love sugar.

I also love birthdays because my wife makes them special.  She has helped me to love birthdays in a new way.  She brought the prayer of blessing and thanksgiving into birthdays.  It is so appropriate. 

Birthdays make me think about life, the beginning so many years ago, the end ever closer. I think the candles, bright colors, joyous song, and sugar are all made to distract us from sinking down into these existential questions.   

But the questions are good. Why am I here? What have I done? What am I going to do?  What about this story leaves me empty? What matters?

I am so glad I live with a wife and a God who can ask hard questions

It's what birthdays are for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Is There Hope for a Politically Fractured Body?" What I learned from listening.

  This isn't the blog post I thought I would write.  Sometime in the wee hours of election night, I had a thought.  I really need to tal...