Friday, October 4, 2013

What's the thing about corporations?

One of my favorite places in New York is Union Square.  You can't go more than 20 feet without seeing an artist or political protester and inevitably there is someone there decrying the evil of some corporation.

Honestly I can see their point. Corporations have done much evil the world over all in the name of efficiency which can be another term for greed. It is too easy for them to hide behind "policies" and do things that no indicidual would choose to do on their own. (similar in some ways to armed forces).

But the more I reflect on it, I also love corporations. I like going to Wal Mart and Home Depot and Geico.  What keeps me going back to these places? 

I like the low prices but I think there is something deeper because I will even waste gas to get to a corporation sometimes!

I think the reason I go is that corporations provide predictability.  I know exactly what I can buy and what it will taste like the minute I see the lovely Panera Bread logo.  It provides a little shelter and sanity for my otherwise battered existance. Rather than go talk to a real person I prefer the ease of looking at the familiar Starbucks glass case of pasteries.  Corporations are one of the most predictable parts of life. They are my pacifier. How sick is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Is There Hope for a Politically Fractured Body?" What I learned from listening.

  This isn't the blog post I thought I would write.  Sometime in the wee hours of election night, I had a thought.  I really need to tal...