Sunday, November 16, 2014

Is loneliness such a bad thing?

Not sure why, but my favorite time to jog is on a misty night. What some might call dreary or lonely, I think of as peaceful.  It's beautiful.  The park lights turn the asphalt into a bed of a million crystals. The droplets glisten everywhere. The world stands still. It's just me and the open road.  Like me, the trees are crying rain drops and yet are at peace. Nature is my cathedral and I move forward slowly down the aisle in awe and silence.  Tears and joy are equally welcome in this sacred space. Neither one needs explanation.
 
My spirit says that I was made for this.
 
Through the drizzle, it feels like there is a lonely Voice from outside of time calling me off the carousel of life. He is calling me into something too amazing and too simple for words.

I have always been an advocate for "community," but lately I have found peace in aloneness. There is a way in which we were meant to run our race alone. Doesn't the Bible say, "every man shall bear his own burden," and in another place, "To their own master, servants stand or fall."  Am I a depressed recluse or is something good happening here?  Could it be that silent worship is the path that leads me from loneliness to aloneness to wholeness?  Is this not a necessary journey?  If I were to bypass loneliness, wouldn't I miss out on something grand?
 
 "Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness" - the Bible 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Is There Hope for a Politically Fractured Body?" What I learned from listening.

  This isn't the blog post I thought I would write.  Sometime in the wee hours of election night, I had a thought.  I really need to tal...