Thursday, September 25, 2014

Anger or sadness? I wonder why people choose anger?

The Bible doesn't condemn anger.  Jesus got angry in the temple.  God gets angry.  It's not a bad emotion in itself, but it is also possible -- even likely -- to sin when you are angry. 
 
In contrast, Jesus says those that mourn are blessed. 
 
So when life smacks me in the face, when circumstances get hard, why do I choose anger instead of sadness? 
 
Anger makes me feel strong. 
Sadness makes me feel weak.
 
Anger energizes.
Sadness is still. 
 
Anger makes me feel like the issues are clear.
Sadness often comes with confusion.
 
Anger feels there is a solution.
Sadness leads me to admit my inability to find solutions.
 
Anger is self-protective.
Sadness makes me feel vulnerable.
 
The audience applauds anger.  Think of the last rousing speech you heard.
Sadness invokes an awkward silence. 
 
Anger affixes the problem firmly onto others.
Sadness leaves me open to consider my own participation in the problem.
 
Anger demands justice.
Sadness knows that what we really need is mercy.
 
Anger doesn't feel like it hurts me.
Sadness hurts me, it hurts badly.
 
Most people don't say they want to be angry.  It doesn't feel like a choice to be angry.  Instead we say the other person, situation, issue caused my anger!
 
But,
 
I wonder if the real reason people are angry is that the alternative is sadness, and that would just plain hurt too much.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Is There Hope for a Politically Fractured Body?" What I learned from listening.

  This isn't the blog post I thought I would write.  Sometime in the wee hours of election night, I had a thought.  I really need to tal...