Friday, November 1, 2013

When will I grow up?

Yesterday I was buying something at a local bodega and my eyes wondered toward a security screen. I thought, "Oh, that guy looks kind of like me," then I thought, "No, it must be someone else. He has a bit of a bald spot."

As it turned out, the old guy in the screen was in fact me.

Really?

I guess I thought people who are balding would feel different.  Sort of like everything would be clear and life would be settled and normality would reign supreme. I thought I would speak great wisdom in deliberate booming tones like my teachers at Calvary Bible School.

Actually I don't feel much different than when I was 10. As Ray Stedman said when he looked into the mirror, "What's a young man like you doing in an old body like that?"

Its as if the line between immaturity and maturity has become blurred beyond recognition.  I wonder if that's how folks felt when they saw Jesus, this young single guy who never got a real job and settled down -- this guy who walked around telling random stories and deliberately disobeying the sensibilities of his day. He slept in the hills or wherever he happened to be at night time. He played with children and flew off the handle in the temple.

What immaturity!

Hmmmm, maybe the spiritual journey is not about growing up. Maybe it is about growing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Is There Hope for a Politically Fractured Body?" What I learned from listening.

  This isn't the blog post I thought I would write.  Sometime in the wee hours of election night, I had a thought.  I really need to tal...